• Tag : considerations

2018 Roth and Traditional IRA Considerations

by Kristin P. Sinclair, A Accu Tax on September 26, 2018

Which is best for you ? Maybe both should be part of your 2018 retirement savings plans. With Traditional IRAs and other pre-tax retirement plans the contributions may be tax deductible in 2018. Your earnings grow tax-deferred until you withdraw them. Normally it should be best to withdraw Traditional IRA funds in retirement when you may have less income, and therefore pay less in taxes.

Roth IRA and other post-tax retirement plans you pay the taxes on the contributions, and your earnings should grow tax-deferred or tax-exempt. Those post-tax accounts that feature tax-exempt withdrawals after age 59.5 are excellent complements to your pre-tax IRA savings.

In retirement many people find they have unplanned needs for extra cash. For example: this could be the need for a new heating and cooling system; or something much more fun like an extra vacation ! Taking that extra cash from a pre-tax IRA should increase your current year income and current year income tax obligation. A double whammy could hit if more of your Social Security income is now taxable !

Conversely, it may be more desirable to with draw that extra cash from a Roth IRA or other post-tax retirement plan. Then you should not increase your current year income and your current year tax obligation. Voila – no double whammy from making more of your Social Security taxable.

Therefore the answer may be that Traditional IRAs and pre-tax retirement accounts are best in conjunction with Roth IRAs and other post-tax retirement accounts. It is important to balance your current year tax liability with your future retirement income needs. Please phone Kristin at (803)329-0609 if you need her to help you with your 2018 tax return.

Updated by Kristin P. Sinclair: A Accu Tax

in Charlotte NC and Rock Hill SC

September 26, 2018   (803)329-0609


Note: The IRS describes taxable compensation in general terms as what you earn from working. This specifically includes wages, salaries, tips, professional fees, bonuses, and other amounts you receive for personal services rendered. The IRS considers as taxable compensation all amounts properly shown on your W-2 in Box 1, provided that amount is not reduced by any amount entered in Box 11. For IRA purposes, scholarship and fellowship payments are taxable compensation only if shown on Form W-2 in Box 1.

More information is available at See Publication 590-A and Publication 590-B.


, ,